Tuesday 5 July 2011

Scillies 'Solo' Crossing





After our Isles of Scilly trip last September, I had wanted to join the link by paddling from Sennen Cove over to the Isles themselves; a 28 mile open water crossing. A week after my Alps trip, and conditions were looking perfect for an attempt, with good visibility and virtually no wind and swell. Once prepped and packed, I drove down to sennen the evening before (sleeping in the van) and paddled out from Sennen just after 6am on Friday 1st July in glassy smooth waters. Despite a fully laden kayak and full spring tides the crossing went really well, and after just under 5 hours and 40 minutes from leaving Longships, I arrived at the Scillies outer rocks, having negotiated several ships and tankers en route. I also saw quite a few gannets on the crossing, and was greeted by a couple of puffins that circled me for a bit which was nice. I landed on St. Martins just before 1pm in time for lunch and a celebratory mug of tea. My crossing couldn't have gone better, and with favorable conditions and good planning the tide pushed me in on the last leg of the journey too. Perfect! The following day I made the long paddle out to Bishop Rock lighthouse - the most southwesterly point, in good sea conditions and back to St. Martins again. On Sunday I had a more leisurely day, paddling out through the narrow Men-a-vaur rocks, and then spending the day chilling out on Northwethel Island in the sunshine. Monday I got the ferry back to the mainland after enjoying a superb few days in these stunning and magical islands, feeling re-vitalized. Definitely worth the effort! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment